Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fun on the Web March 2, 2011 Cosmos

I may well have heard about Cosmos for the first time on Sex in the City but I had certainly toyed with the ingredients. For many years I consumed Vodka Gimlets and what is not to like about Cranberry juice?

We discovered that the mixes available now appear to be inferior to one we used for years called Mixerz which disappeared off the shelves of the specialty grocery I used to frequent in Milwaukee. Now I can obtain Stirrings brand recommended by my friends at Discount Liquor (also in Milwaukee) but its a little pricey. Its available at Target here.

This week I embarked on making them from scratch and I discovered not many of the thousands of recipes I saw even looked the right color to me. We experimented and found we like much more cranberry juice than this recipe found here:
http://cocktails.about.com/od/cocktailrecipes/r/cosmo.htm

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz vodka
1 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1/4 oz cranberry juice
orange peel for garnish
Preparation:

Shake all the ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with an orange peel.
Optionally, use citron vodka in place of unflavored vodka for a fruitier taste.


Instead I used:

2 oz vodka
1 oz Gran Marnier
1 lime juiced (made about 1 oz)
2 oz cranberry juice

Preparation:

Shake all the ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Will try to use citron vodka in place of unflavored vodka for a fruitier taste in the future batches.

Do you like Cosmos? What is your recipe?

No comments: