Friday, September 12, 2008

Fun on the Web Sept 12 '08 Scrabble quotes

Happy Birthday to my sister!

FAMOUS SCRABBLE QUOTES

Some famous people have dabbled in Scrabble: Richard Burton, King Farouk, Omar Sharif and Mel Gibson to name a few. But there are other celebrities who, in the course of history, have uttered immortal comments which have since become part and parcel of the Scrabble player's vernacular. Many of these utterances are still heard in clubs and tournaments around the world.

SOCRATES "I have HEMLOCK but I can't get it down."

RICHARD THE THIRD (playing Henry Tudor on Bosworth Field) "Gadzooks, I'm stuck with the Q!"

ANNE BOLEYN (playing her torturer in the Tower of London) "Damn this rack! I can't get any E's."

SAINT AUGUSTINE (on his death-bed) "Did I miss something?"

MICHELANGELO "I can't make anything with these tiles".

CASANOVA "I find it hard to score with a tight board."

COUNT DRACULA "I prefer to play upside down."

WILD BILL HICKOK "Let's draw to see who goes first."

KARL MARX "I'm going to change the lot."

ALBERT EINSTEIN "Can we check the score? I think I've added up wrong."

CAPTAIN ROBERT SCOTT (playing in a tent near the South Pole) "That's life – finally you have TRIUMPH on your rack then somebody takes your spot."

HENRY FORD "I play a tight game. On my board nobody gets a bonus."

KING EDWARD VIII "I think I'll pass my turn."

DOCTOR LIVINGSTONE (playing Stanley in the Congo with E - G - I - M - P - S - Y on his rack) "I just know there's something in here somewhere."

MAE WEST (playing with Cary Grant) "If you were a gentleman, sweetie, you wouldn't have blocked my opening."

REVEREND WILLIAM SPOONER (last words) "Are there any betters left in the lag?"

ADOLF HlTLER (playing with Neville Chamberlain in Munich) "Do you mind if I take back my word?"

AL CAPONE "So? Taking out more than seven is a crime?"

HARRY HOUDINI "This board is so blocked not even I can find somewhere to go."

JACK BENNY "I just get I-O-U-I-O-U all the time?"

ARCHIE MOORE (playing Rocky Marciano in 1955) "I 'll turn you into CORKY MACARONI."

AROLD STEPTOE (playing his father) "You dirty old man! You never change! But when I dump a rackful of vowels I just pick up more rubbish."

HENRY KISSINGER (playing Nixon on the flight back from China ) "What I said, Richard, was 'Peking's in the bag, okay' not 'Peeking in the bag's okay'."

RONALD REAGAN (playing Gorbachev in Geneva) "Is it your move or mine?"

JOHN McENROE (sending back a challenge slip at Wimbledon) "You've gotta be joking! What do you mean, there's a hyphen in MOTHERF – – – – – – ?"

GEORGE BURNS "I used to play Scrabble with Gracie. It was the only way I could get a word in edgewise."

JAMES CAGNEY (caught with F-B-I-F-B-I-Q at the end of the game) "You dirty rack!"

BONES McCOY (on Star Trek): "Dammit, Jim! I'm a DOCTOR, not a Scrabble expert!"

MARIE ANTOINETTE (on being told the peasants have no bread): "Well, let them eat the Q!"

NIKITA KRUSCHEV: "We will bury you (with bingos)."

JFK: "Ask not what your rack can do for you. Ask what you can do foryour rack."

BEAVER CLEAVER: "Gosh Wally, how come you git all the blanks?"

JUNE CLEAVER: "The Beav's asleep, Ward. Let's go play strip Scrabble!"

TAMMY WYNETTE: "D-I-V-O-R-C-E. Bingo!"

No comments: